Raw Radio Talk  

Go Back   Raw Radio Talk > Raw Radio Talk > Raw Radio Talk Lounge

Notices

Raw Radio Talk Lounge Whether it be FM, AM or Streaming through the interwebs, discuss your shows here.

Old 02-02-2015, 09:21 AM   #1
Chob

vCash: 134285714
Chob has a reputation beyond reputeChob has a reputation beyond reputeChob has a reputation beyond reputeChob has a reputation beyond reputeChob has a reputation beyond reputeChob has a reputation beyond reputeChob has a reputation beyond reputeChob has a reputation beyond reputeChob has a reputation beyond reputeChob has a reputation beyond reputeChob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bubba The Love Sponge Flips WHFS To WBRN 'Bubba 98.7, No Rules Radio'

Gonna keep the articles and general non-listening thread chat about it in here.

http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/ar...wbrn-bubba-98-

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Access
BUBBA THE LOVE SPONGE, who's been having fun with his return to the market, unveiled the new format on BEASLEY BROADCASTING WHFS-F/TAMPA-ST. PETERSBURG as BUBBA 98.7 "No Rules Radio," with new calls on the way of WBRN.

CARL HARRIS will serve as the station’s PD, and can be reached at carl.harris@bbgi.com.

The music, BUBBA told listeners this morning, will be "anything that I like. Seriously... that's the format... it's me. It's what I like. It could be KURTIS BLOW's 'Basketball' and AC/DC's 'You Shook Me All Night Long.'" He also suggested that he could even play CW MCCALL's "Convoy" and said that other stations are programmed by corporate people, "we have ownership in this radio station. What we sez, goes."

ALL ACCESS was told the station will include artists such as AC/DC, METALLICA, RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS, PEARL JAM, LED ZEPPELIN, STONE TEMPLE PILOTS, LINKIN PARK, GREEN DAY and FOO FIGHTERS. Also, the format includes songs chosen by BUBBA himself which range from artists like EMINEM, NOTORIOUS B.I.G., DR DRE, JERRY REED, PUBLIC ENEMY, C.W. MCCALL, LL COOL J and many others.- See more at: http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/archive/story/13788

If you find any articles not posted, put them here.

Without getting too long winded, here's some general thoughts I have:

-I like the concept, it's risky to put all the eggs in the Bubba basket but it warms my cold heart when someone tries something unique on FM radio.

-They need a non BTLS show personality to diversify things a bit. Dan Blaze suggested Stan and Haney which I think would be brilliant. And to me they seem laid back enough that it won't result in a clash of egos like last time.

-They need to straighten out what they're doing with io. Beasley either needs to buy out the io contract, or otherwise negotiate to bring a one stop shop for the Bubba brand under their banner. Bubba's spread thin across various platforms and his internet presence has never been all that streamlined or sexy. And for fuck's sake, do something about Bubba Raw. Five uploads for 2014 is pathetic. But I digress.
Chob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 09:36 AM   #2
Cpt. Mcgillicutty
Baby Yoda aficionado

vCash: 41107781276966
Cpt. Mcgillicutty has a reputation beyond reputeCpt. Mcgillicutty has a reputation beyond reputeCpt. Mcgillicutty has a reputation beyond reputeCpt. Mcgillicutty has a reputation beyond reputeCpt. Mcgillicutty has a reputation beyond reputeCpt. Mcgillicutty has a reputation beyond reputeCpt. Mcgillicutty has a reputation beyond reputeCpt. Mcgillicutty has a reputation beyond reputeCpt. Mcgillicutty has a reputation beyond reputeCpt. Mcgillicutty has a reputation beyond reputeCpt. Mcgillicutty has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chob View Post
Gonna keep the articles and general non-listening thread chat about it in here.

http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/ar...wbrn-bubba-98-

If you find any articles not posted, put them here.

Without getting too long winded, here's some general thoughts I have:

-I like the concept, it's risky to put all the eggs in the Bubba basket but it warms my cold heart when someone tries something unique on FM radio.

-They need a non BTLS show personality to diversify things a bit. Dan Blaze suggested Stan and Haney which I think would be brilliant. And to me they seem laid back enough that it won't result in a clash of egos like last time.

-They need to straighten out what they're doing with io. Beasley either needs to buy out the io contract, or otherwise negotiate to bring a one stop shop for the Bubba brand under their banner. Bubba's spread thin across various platforms and his internet presence has never been all that streamlined or sexy. And for fuck's sake, do something about Bubba Raw. Five uploads for 2014 is pathetic. But I digress.
To address some of your points:
WBRN is destined to go the way of IO imo...

I've heard S&H, not a bad show and would have been a good fit in the afternoon drive slot.

IO is a joke, always has been, always will be. How the hell are they gonna or even want to do shows there AND on FM? There's not enough time in the day.

About Bubba Raw, kiss it good Cuzzy, the new shiny toy is Bubba's Youtube channel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Garabo View Post
Cpt., with full awareness of your disdain for me, I still have to say that you are making some strong points.
Cpt. Mcgillicutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 09:49 AM   #3
Chob

Chob has a reputation beyond reputeChob has a reputation beyond reputeChob has a reputation beyond reputeChob has a reputation beyond reputeChob has a reputation beyond reputeChob has a reputation beyond reputeChob has a reputation beyond reputeChob has a reputation beyond reputeChob has a reputation beyond reputeChob has a reputation beyond reputeChob has a reputation beyond repute

I agree canning Raw is the best idea. For the stuff Youtube won't allow, and there's less of it these days, Bubba just needs some sort of age verification gimmick on his site or something. Let the BRN figure it out. Although I think making it part of the sub service for whatever's after io is a good idea. Like when Bubba said there'd be a combo Raw/io sub and never lived up to that. I do think he's making the right choice in putting out more video content for free.

As for io, I can't imagine whoever runs it is happy with the arrangement, and Bubba isn't even heavily promoted on io's own site. He's buried in a talk channel menu. I think cutting ties is best for everyone involved.

I think Beasley needs to take over on the uncensored streaming channel front, as well as the archives and all the stuff currently on io. I don't know what the digital end of things is like with them, but they probably have better resources than io. If I remember correctly, they outsource streaming to Triton or someone. They have a better chance at handling the technical side of things correctly. And keep the stream free and the downloads for subs.

With a 15 year contract with Bubba, it makes sense for them to be a one stop shop for Bubba for the long haul. They just need to take a deep breath and come up with a plan because they have a great opportunity to capitalize on some buzz.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:13 AM   #4
Chob

Bubba needs to get his boy Ledge on 98.7. The guy was a relentless promoter of io and then got unceremoniously shitcanned. He's been extremely loyal and he could bring a unique product to the FM airwaves.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:18 AM   #5
Ulfric Stormcloak
Jarl Of Windhelm

vCash: 5000000
Ulfric Stormcloak has a reputation beyond reputeUlfric Stormcloak has a reputation beyond reputeUlfric Stormcloak has a reputation beyond reputeUlfric Stormcloak has a reputation beyond reputeUlfric Stormcloak has a reputation beyond reputeUlfric Stormcloak has a reputation beyond reputeUlfric Stormcloak has a reputation beyond reputeUlfric Stormcloak has a reputation beyond reputeUlfric Stormcloak has a reputation beyond reputeUlfric Stormcloak has a reputation beyond reputeUlfric Stormcloak has a reputation beyond repute

15 year contract???
Ulfric Stormcloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 10:29 AM   #6
Chob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sin View Post
15 year contract???
Yeah, Bubba said he has a 15 year contract with Beasley.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:12 AM   #7
Ulfric Stormcloak
Jarl Of Windhelm

Ulfric Stormcloak has a reputation beyond reputeUlfric Stormcloak has a reputation beyond reputeUlfric Stormcloak has a reputation beyond reputeUlfric Stormcloak has a reputation beyond reputeUlfric Stormcloak has a reputation beyond reputeUlfric Stormcloak has a reputation beyond reputeUlfric Stormcloak has a reputation beyond reputeUlfric Stormcloak has a reputation beyond reputeUlfric Stormcloak has a reputation beyond reputeUlfric Stormcloak has a reputation beyond reputeUlfric Stormcloak has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chob View Post
Yeah, Bubba said he has a 15 year contract with Beasley.
That's just hilarious
Ulfric Stormcloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 12:40 PM   #8
SJ
Secret Agent Boopity

vCash: 5845720
SJ has a reputation beyond reputeSJ has a reputation beyond reputeSJ has a reputation beyond reputeSJ has a reputation beyond reputeSJ has a reputation beyond reputeSJ has a reputation beyond reputeSJ has a reputation beyond reputeSJ has a reputation beyond reputeSJ has a reputation beyond reputeSJ has a reputation beyond reputeSJ has a reputation beyond repute

outside of public enemy - all that music is already played on the radio too much.

I don't want to hear another ac dc song IN MY LIFE thank you

COD
SJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 12:55 PM   #9
Chob

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ View Post
outside of public enemy - all that music is already played on the radio too much.

I don't want to hear another ac dc song IN MY LIFE thank you
They did go from Ozzy to Devo which was cool. Even if the songs are played too much separately, a unique mix of them will keep things fresh. I listened for a bit and dug it to be honest. And I typically don't care to listen to music on FM radio.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:33 PM   #10
FishMuskys
Venison King!

vCash: 100000000
FishMuskys has a reputation beyond reputeFishMuskys has a reputation beyond reputeFishMuskys has a reputation beyond reputeFishMuskys has a reputation beyond reputeFishMuskys has a reputation beyond reputeFishMuskys has a reputation beyond reputeFishMuskys has a reputation beyond reputeFishMuskys has a reputation beyond reputeFishMuskys has a reputation beyond reputeFishMuskys has a reputation beyond reputeFishMuskys has a reputation beyond repute

If I lived in Tampa and wanted a music channel to follow a morning show...This would be it. Good mix of tunes. Could use a few classic 70's jams.
FishMuskys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 05:25 PM   #11
PissJug
aka Wyatt Privlij

vCash: 3450478513635
PissJug has a reputation beyond reputePissJug has a reputation beyond reputePissJug has a reputation beyond reputePissJug has a reputation beyond reputePissJug has a reputation beyond reputePissJug has a reputation beyond reputePissJug has a reputation beyond reputePissJug has a reputation beyond reputePissJug has a reputation beyond reputePissJug has a reputation beyond reputePissJug has a reputation beyond repute

no lawyer shows?

ATL
PissJug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 09:33 PM   #12
Dick
No Avatar

Dick is on a distinguished road

Driving home from tampa... They're playing pretty good music.
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 09:54 PM   #13
SJ
Secret Agent Boopity

vCash: 5845720
SJ has a reputation beyond reputeSJ has a reputation beyond reputeSJ has a reputation beyond reputeSJ has a reputation beyond reputeSJ has a reputation beyond reputeSJ has a reputation beyond reputeSJ has a reputation beyond reputeSJ has a reputation beyond reputeSJ has a reputation beyond reputeSJ has a reputation beyond reputeSJ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick View Post
Driving home from tampa... They're playing pretty good music.
Is it really random?

COD
SJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 05:53 AM   #14
Dick
No Avatar

Dick is on a distinguished road

Yes, for the most part... Don Henley into Foo Fighters to Ice Cube... I'm missing a few but those are what I remember
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:27 AM   #15
PissJug
aka Wyatt Privlij

vCash: 3450478513635
PissJug has a reputation beyond reputePissJug has a reputation beyond reputePissJug has a reputation beyond reputePissJug has a reputation beyond reputePissJug has a reputation beyond reputePissJug has a reputation beyond reputePissJug has a reputation beyond reputePissJug has a reputation beyond reputePissJug has a reputation beyond reputePissJug has a reputation beyond reputePissJug has a reputation beyond repute

is the station for rugged white men like Bubba 199?

ATL
PissJug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Beasley, Bubba 199, Bubba 98.7, bubba the love sponge, WBRN, WHFS