Raw Radio Talk  

Go Back   Raw Radio Talk > General Discussion > The Kingdom

Notices

The Kingdom General/Off-topic Forum/Tech & Gaming

Old 09-23-2014, 10:05 AM   #136
SJ
Secret Agent Boopity

vCash: 5845720
SJ has a reputation beyond reputeSJ has a reputation beyond reputeSJ has a reputation beyond reputeSJ has a reputation beyond reputeSJ has a reputation beyond reputeSJ has a reputation beyond reputeSJ has a reputation beyond reputeSJ has a reputation beyond reputeSJ has a reputation beyond reputeSJ has a reputation beyond reputeSJ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TelegramSam View Post
Halfway in, this is a great interview. That eyeball story makes me cringe every time I hear it.
there's another video of axe and smash from demolition at that wrestlethon too
SJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 10:10 AM   #137
SJ
Secret Agent Boopity

SJ has a reputation beyond reputeSJ has a reputation beyond reputeSJ has a reputation beyond reputeSJ has a reputation beyond reputeSJ has a reputation beyond reputeSJ has a reputation beyond reputeSJ has a reputation beyond reputeSJ has a reputation beyond reputeSJ has a reputation beyond reputeSJ has a reputation beyond reputeSJ has a reputation beyond repute

Mr Fuji was Demolitions manager? Shit I forgot all about that.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rfty2ViguE[/ame]
Old 09-23-2014, 10:31 AM   #138
SJ
Secret Agent Boopity

great fuji story

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUb8EXdvjsA[/ame]
Old 09-23-2014, 10:43 AM   #139
SJ
Secret Agent Boopity

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbn4zScwhWg[/ame]
Old 09-23-2014, 06:01 PM   #140
TelegramSam

vCash: 5000000
TelegramSam is a glorious beacon of lightTelegramSam is a glorious beacon of lightTelegramSam is a glorious beacon of lightTelegramSam is a glorious beacon of lightTelegramSam is a glorious beacon of light

SJ, I was thinking more about that Vader interview. One of the things he brought up was that he thought WCW would have been better off in the long run had they never brought in Hogan and turned it into a more WWE-like product. Looking back, they did have a great stable with him, Sting, Ric Flair, Sid Vicious, etc. Then again, I don't know that they would have ever hit NWO era-like numbers with those guys. Interesting to consider, though.
TelegramSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:59 PM   #141
TelegramSam

TelegramSam is a glorious beacon of lightTelegramSam is a glorious beacon of lightTelegramSam is a glorious beacon of lightTelegramSam is a glorious beacon of lightTelegramSam is a glorious beacon of light

I can't remember if I ever linked this, but just a heads up, here is the official NJPW Youtube Channel (almost all in Japanese): http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWHkw0DdTCtbMpzeUkqtGRA
Old 09-23-2014, 09:48 PM   #142
SJ
Secret Agent Boopity

Quote:
SJ, I was thinking more about that Vader interview. One of the things he brought up was that he thought WCW would have been better off in the long run had they never brought in Hogan and turned it into a more WWE-like product. Looking back, they did have a great stable with him, Sting, Ric Flair, Sid Vicious, etc. Then again, I don't know that they would have ever hit NWO era-like numbers with those guys. Interesting to consider, though.
see back when I was younger, I didn't know wcw was another "promotion" so much as a minor leagues for the wwf

We used to get those old early 90's wcw shows and it just seemed like the good young guys got picked up by wwf and the old washups went back to the minors aka wcw...

so looking back, I dunno how the general public aka a casual fan (not a smark) would have reacted to the wcw copying the wwe.

The other thing is - you wouldn't have had the attitude era at all. I mean it would have just stayed the cartoony bullshit for kids and you'd have 2x that if wcw followed suit.

I think wcw taking hogan was a good move for the industry in the long run. It opened the eyes to the higher ups that it wasn't just for kids and kids didn't spend as much money as a 20+
Old 09-23-2014, 09:48 PM   #143
SJ
Secret Agent Boopity

also the wcw sucked at imitating the wwf

remember that rotating ring? egads
Old 09-23-2014, 10:58 PM   #144
TelegramSam

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ View Post
see back when I was younger, I didn't know wcw was another "promotion" so much as a minor leagues for the wwf

We used to get those old early 90's wcw shows and it just seemed like the good young guys got picked up by wwf and the old washups went back to the minors aka wcw...

so looking back, I dunno how the general public aka a casual fan (not a smark) would have reacted to the wcw copying the wwe.

The other thing is - you wouldn't have had the attitude era at all. I mean it would have just stayed the cartoony bullshit for kids and you'd have 2x that if wcw followed suit.

I think wcw taking hogan was a good move for the industry in the long run. It opened the eyes to the higher ups that it wasn't just for kids and kids didn't spend as much money as a 20+
I'm with you on that SJ, I just wanted to mention that I didn't clarify what Vader said very well. Basically, what he was saying is this: WCW should have kept developing their stable of guys pre-Hogan and Bischoff (Vader, Sting, Flair, Sid Vicious, etc.) and keep going with that more traditional, rasslin' style show. That would have let WWE keep doing the cartoony, image oriented stuff that wasn't focused on mechanics or athleticism (which he shits on Hogan for exemplifying), he wasn't saying that WCW should become like the WWE in that regard. You are right about his opinion of the Attitude era stuff though, he's really big on a Japanese shoot style of wrestling (even with cartoony stuff). I hope that made sense. The later half of that interview is pretty interesting though, definitely worth another watch.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:02 PM   #145
TelegramSam

Also, just talking about WCW, I think a lot of people in the US felt the same way you did. It really depends on where you're from, I think if you grew up with the NWA and old school Starrcade you saw them as an equal promotion. If you were from Vince Sr.'s old territory, or anywhere that only got wrestling via cable (and not OTA), you saw WCW as this weird minor league promotion. I remember Abe Kanan saying on his show (I listened a few times ) that he was in that boat, but would get NWA/WCW VHS tapes at the video store. To him, it was this weird minor league thing he'd never heard of, so I get where you're coming from with that.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:12 PM   #146
SJ
Secret Agent Boopity

Quote:
I'm with you on that SJ, I just wanted to mention that I didn't clarify what Vader said very well. Basically, what he was saying is this: WCW should have kept developing their stable of guys pre-Hogan and Bischoff (Vader, Sting, Flair, Sid Vicious, etc.) and keep going with that more traditional, rasslin' style show. That would have let WWE keep doing the cartoony, image oriented stuff that wasn't focused on mechanics or athleticism (which he shits on Hogan for exemplifying), he wasn't saying that WCW should become like the WWE in that regard. You are right about his opinion of the Attitude era stuff though, he's really big on a Japanese shoot style of wrestling (even with cartoony stuff). I hope that made sense. The later half of that interview is pretty interesting though, definitely worth another watch.
ok so... I'm kinda confused about one of his points

they DID keep developing a lot of that talent Think about it this way - Only vader got the shaft there... Sting.. HUGE. Flair - Space fucking mountain. Sid - broke his leg... so he doesn't factor in and really sid wasn't too far off from hogan in ability

WCW didn't drop a lot of guys either. Mainly the roster just grew. I think back in the heyday both companies had between 50 and 80 guys or something crazy. It was WAY overpopulated really in both companies.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:17 PM   #147
SJ
Secret Agent Boopity

problem with wcw is the leadership kept changing and they just added too many guys and it got out of control...

if they could erase the last year (or maybe two) of wcw, they probably could have saved it. They should have stepped in and dissolved all "factions"

Sleazy E should have double crossed the NWO's, gone back to being the corporate stooge and re-focus the writing but russo came in and ugh... JJ had his hand in the cookie jar and Kevin Nash fucked things up pretty good before that booking wise. The goldberg thing was bullshit. I know he takes a lot of heat, but fuck it - he had HUGE momentum. You don't fuck with that and they did and blew having their new angle being just everyone trying to take down goldberg...
Old 09-24-2014, 06:18 PM   #148
SJ
Secret Agent Boopity

[ame]http://youtu.be/CKcdy6kJsmE[/ame]
Old 09-24-2014, 07:29 PM   #149
TelegramSam

"Bitch, you can't fight. I saw you do The Windmill, and you can't fight!"
Old 09-24-2014, 07:55 PM   #150
TelegramSam

Some more good Kushida vids from the official NJPW channel: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnx3wYIXIro[/ame] [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP-OkmHp1m8[/ame]

Tags
cut the music!, Dragonborn in Tampa, i'll see you at the ppv, lace up the boots, LET ME SPEAK ON THIS!!, Milk can't find weed