Raw Radio Talk  

Go Back   Raw Radio Talk > General Discussion > The Kingdom

Notices

The Kingdom General/Off-topic Forum/Tech & Gaming

Old 03-13-2011, 04:27 PM   #1
Lerch

vCash: 2000000000000
Lerch has a reputation beyond reputeLerch has a reputation beyond reputeLerch has a reputation beyond reputeLerch has a reputation beyond reputeLerch has a reputation beyond reputeLerch has a reputation beyond reputeLerch has a reputation beyond reputeLerch has a reputation beyond reputeLerch has a reputation beyond reputeLerch has a reputation beyond reputeLerch has a reputation beyond repute
Headphones My HDTV Broke

You might have already read that somewhere.

I have a Vizio 32 inch plasma tv. it's a nice decent tv.

I came home one day and the thing wouldn't turn on. Then it would, then finally nothing..

I have no warranty, and to ship the tv anywhere in it's original carton (required), it costs about 80 bucks. The average labor repair on this stuff is about 150-200 not including parts, which prolly cost about 15 cents, is gonna cost another 25-40.. Looking at about the same price to buy a new one instead.

Looked on youtube and there was this video. My tv, same problem. I'm trying what this kid did, and see what happens..

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Sc6IeUBj0k"]YouTube - Vp322 capacitor fix[/ame]
Lerch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 04:37 PM   #2
Lerch

Lerch has a reputation beyond reputeLerch has a reputation beyond reputeLerch has a reputation beyond reputeLerch has a reputation beyond reputeLerch has a reputation beyond reputeLerch has a reputation beyond reputeLerch has a reputation beyond reputeLerch has a reputation beyond reputeLerch has a reputation beyond reputeLerch has a reputation beyond reputeLerch has a reputation beyond repute

I followed all the instructions so far, and it's identically the same as in the video. I found the bubbled up caps and desoldered them.

Next option is personally go to Radio Shack and look around, because over the phone, I don't think Waldo is up to snuff on solid state components, or I found a website I can buy direct and only what I need. $4.11 cents plus USPS. Like $10..

Next update in a few days.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:31 AM   #3
Mugsy
Just helpin oot

vCash: 100746211
Mugsy has a reputation beyond reputeMugsy has a reputation beyond reputeMugsy has a reputation beyond reputeMugsy has a reputation beyond reputeMugsy has a reputation beyond reputeMugsy has a reputation beyond reputeMugsy has a reputation beyond reputeMugsy has a reputation beyond reputeMugsy has a reputation beyond reputeMugsy has a reputation beyond reputeMugsy has a reputation beyond repute

The fix looks sound.
If you are new to soldering, use a very fine tip.
Be patient...don't get into a rush.
Watch that the shaft of the iron doesn't touch other components or it will melt them causing more repairs.
If you're not new to soldering circuit boards, sorry fer wasting your time.

Looking forward to reading that it's all fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishMuskys View Post
Fuck people...save the dogs first.
Mugsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 04:29 PM   #4
Lerch

I'm waiting for parts, my girl calls and asks me what's better. LCD or Plasma...
Old 03-15-2011, 06:09 PM   #5
WadeJordan

vCash: 7495758
WadeJordan has a spectacular aura aboutWadeJordan has a spectacular aura aboutWadeJordan has a spectacular aura about

im techno dumb, please do tell, i think i have 1 of each and couldnt tell the difference
granted one is a 50" and the other is 19"
WadeJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:50 PM   #6
Lerch

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/p...ma-vs-lcd.html

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-l2ydERE...flatpanel.html
Old 03-15-2011, 06:51 PM   #7
Lerch

LED is the new player in HDTV. From what I know LEDs can be made to last a lifetime, how they use the tech remains to be seen.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:25 AM   #8
SJ
Secret Agent Boopity

vCash: 5845720
SJ has a reputation beyond reputeSJ has a reputation beyond reputeSJ has a reputation beyond reputeSJ has a reputation beyond reputeSJ has a reputation beyond reputeSJ has a reputation beyond reputeSJ has a reputation beyond reputeSJ has a reputation beyond reputeSJ has a reputation beyond reputeSJ has a reputation beyond reputeSJ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugsytank View Post
The fix looks sound.
If you are new to soldering, use a very fine tip.
Be patient...don't get into a rush.
Watch that the shaft of the iron doesn't touch other components or it will melt them causing more repairs.
If you're not new to soldering circuit boards, sorry fer wasting your time.

Looking forward to reading that it's all fixed.
hee hee - you said shaft

COD
SJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 05:27 AM   #9
SJ
Secret Agent Boopity

SJ has a reputation beyond reputeSJ has a reputation beyond reputeSJ has a reputation beyond reputeSJ has a reputation beyond reputeSJ has a reputation beyond reputeSJ has a reputation beyond reputeSJ has a reputation beyond reputeSJ has a reputation beyond reputeSJ has a reputation beyond reputeSJ has a reputation beyond reputeSJ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by WadeJordan View Post
im techno dumb, please do tell, i think i have 1 of each and couldnt tell the difference
granted one is a 50" and the other is 19"
lcd is better...

look at it this way - what are all the computer monitors made from? LCD not plasma - you never see a plasma display on a laptop...

now LCD has LED bulbs which means the lamp is gone and replaced with LED's which last for years... the original lamp lasted about 5 in some cases... (some new tv's have 2 or more lamps too)

COD
Old 03-16-2011, 04:07 PM   #10
Lerch

the 50 inch is a plasma, and the 19 is lcd, that's the computer monitor. LCD isn't great for large screens. If you like sports and fast moving shows, plasma is the way to go. Burn-in used to be an issue, but newer sets have a auto-dimmer and a screen wash option that takes those images out. Under 32' LCD is ok.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:08 PM   #11
Lerch

the parts came in today and i put it all back together and it's working. $12.13 total cost.

Last edited by Lerch; 03-16-2011 at 04:24 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:13 PM   #12
Steve44
REAL good at drinkin' Beer!

vCash: 5000000
Steve44 will become famous soon enoughSteve44 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerch View Post
the parts came in today and i put it all back together and it's working. $12.13 total cost.
Awesome! I love the feeling when you get to fix something for next to nothing instead of throwing it out.

What the fuck, Nerdboy?
Steve44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 05:18 PM   #13
Lerch

Now the trick is to get my girl to get that new tv, i told her this fix might last an hour or a week. Who knows?
Old 03-16-2011, 07:01 PM   #14
SJ
Secret Agent Boopity

Quote:
the 50 inch is a plasma, and the 19 is lcd, that's the computer monitor. LCD isn't great for large screens. If you like sports and fast moving shows, plasma is the way to go. Burn-in used to be an issue, but newer sets have a auto-dimmer and a screen wash option that takes those images out. Under 32' LCD is ok.
uh... I gotta say the exact opposite..

I've seen some plasma's (the bigger the worse too) and they can't handle sports at ALL - they go completely to blocks

COD
Old 03-16-2011, 07:43 PM   #15
Mugsy
Just helpin oot

vCash: 100746211
Mugsy has a reputation beyond reputeMugsy has a reputation beyond reputeMugsy has a reputation beyond reputeMugsy has a reputation beyond reputeMugsy has a reputation beyond reputeMugsy has a reputation beyond reputeMugsy has a reputation beyond reputeMugsy has a reputation beyond reputeMugsy has a reputation beyond reputeMugsy has a reputation beyond reputeMugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Now the trick is to get my girl to get that new tv, i told her this fix might last an hour or a week. Who knows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishMuskys View Post
Fuck people...save the dogs first.
Mugsy is offline   Reply With Quote