Raw Radio Talk  

Go Back   Raw Radio Talk > General Discussion > The Kingdom

Notices

The Kingdom General/Off-topic Forum/Tech & Gaming

Old 11-19-2009, 12:23 PM   #1
SJ
Secret Agent Boopity

vCash: 5845720
SJ has a reputation beyond reputeSJ has a reputation beyond reputeSJ has a reputation beyond reputeSJ has a reputation beyond reputeSJ has a reputation beyond reputeSJ has a reputation beyond reputeSJ has a reputation beyond reputeSJ has a reputation beyond reputeSJ has a reputation beyond reputeSJ has a reputation beyond reputeSJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Boot Ubuntu from a flash drive

http://www.instructables.com/id/Boot...a-Flash-Drive/

really interesting hack that will allow you to use an old usb stick to boot and save ubuntu files to - you can even use it on other computers apparently so it's ubuntu to go!

Going to try this out later today

Plus this way you don't need to reformat your computer to run ubuntu or worry about frying anything

COD
SJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 09:48 AM   #2
kali
the tick under your skin

vCash: 5000000
kali has a spectacular aura aboutkali has a spectacular aura about

http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download

if your system (motherboard) is new enough you can install Live Ubuntu on a flash drive and boot from it. I've done it so I know it works.
tried it on my netbook

just got a new laptop and will be trying to install Ubuntu (multiboot with Windows 7)

kali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 11:35 AM   #3
SJ
Secret Agent Boopity

SJ has a reputation beyond reputeSJ has a reputation beyond reputeSJ has a reputation beyond reputeSJ has a reputation beyond reputeSJ has a reputation beyond reputeSJ has a reputation beyond reputeSJ has a reputation beyond reputeSJ has a reputation beyond reputeSJ has a reputation beyond reputeSJ has a reputation beyond reputeSJ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kali View Post
http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download

if your system (motherboard) is new enough you can install Live Ubuntu on a flash drive and boot from it. I've done it so I know it works.
tried it on my netbook

just got a new laptop and will be trying to install Ubuntu (multiboot with Windows 7)

I actually just formatted my old server using a flash/thumb drive - worked perfect... I did the install but yes - I could run it from the thumbdrive as well....

Love the ubuntu - great OS

COD
Old 10-13-2010, 11:37 AM   #4
SJ
Secret Agent Boopity

One thing I really like about ubuntu is the "packaged" software - just open the new software thingy and click install - it does the rest like the firefox add-ons... great system.

Not to mention my old computer is OLD and with ubuntu OS it runs FAST - like surprisingly fast

COD
Old 10-14-2010, 10:04 AM   #5
kali
the tick under your skin

Linux is great for reviving an old system.

I just got a new laptop (17" screen) to do my serious graphics work on and I am going to make it multiboot.

my old Dell lasted years like this.

Old 10-16-2010, 09:31 PM   #6
kali
the tick under your skin

I installed Ubuntu today on my new laptop. I am posting from Opera right now. jesus, is this screen GiGANtic!

I'M LOVING IT!!!!!

Old 10-16-2010, 09:32 PM   #7
kali
the tick under your skin

when I get over the initial euphoria I'll explain how it was done. it was quite easy, actually.

Old 10-16-2010, 10:22 PM   #8
SJ
Secret Agent Boopity

Quote:
Originally Posted by kali View Post
I installed Ubuntu today on my new laptop. I am posting from Opera right now. jesus, is this screen GiGANtic!

I'M LOVING IT!!!!!
ouch opera?

how does this place look on it? much broken?

COD
Old 10-28-2010, 10:03 AM   #9
kali
the tick under your skin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Jesus View Post
ouch opera?

how does this place look on it? much broken?
not at all

Opera 10.63 is beautiful!

it installs easily with no fuss in linux. basically all I do is go to the opera.com site from FF (which is always installed on Ubuntu). It automatically knows what OS I am on, offers me a download link. It downloads, I hit the install button. DONE

Ii then go to you tube while i'm in FF and it asks for a flash plugin. download that. DONE

I then start up Opera and it Automatically sees the flash plugin.

it couldn't be more stress free.

and Opera reads the board just fine. (using it right now)

Old 10-28-2010, 10:06 AM   #10
kali
the tick under your skin

The only thing you have to change when you first get Opera is to allow pop ups.

by default Opera has all pop ups blocked. which is fine by me.
So, as sites like this is included in my speed dial, I go on the site, change to allow pop ups and it's done.
this way I keep control over my surfing

Old 10-28-2010, 11:43 AM   #11
SJ
Secret Agent Boopity

well that's good to know

I know IE doesn't support some of the CSS I've implemented here so it can cause some glitches...

good to know though about opera.. I'll have to install it as a back up on my ubuntu machine.

I've been noticing FF seems to be getting more and more glitchy with every update

I use the noscript plug in for FF and the adblock plus.. between the two I find I get almost no pop ups

COD
Old 10-29-2010, 01:18 PM   #12
Ski Lo

vCash: 268304465
Ski Lo has much to be proud ofSki Lo has much to be proud ofSki Lo has much to be proud ofSki Lo has much to be proud ofSki Lo has much to be proud ofSki Lo has much to be proud ofSki Lo has much to be proud ofSki Lo has much to be proud ofSki Lo has much to be proud ofSki Lo has much to be proud of

I got Opera mini on my cell..It works great!!!!

YOU GOT TO BE SHITTING ME!
Ski Lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:06 PM   #13
NeTaS
Milk Mulisha

vCash: 1234082629786
NeTaS has a reputation beyond reputeNeTaS has a reputation beyond reputeNeTaS has a reputation beyond reputeNeTaS has a reputation beyond reputeNeTaS has a reputation beyond reputeNeTaS has a reputation beyond reputeNeTaS has a reputation beyond reputeNeTaS has a reputation beyond reputeNeTaS has a reputation beyond reputeNeTaS has a reputation beyond reputeNeTaS has a reputation beyond repute

Love Ubuntu and I like to play around with diff distro's usually on virtual machines,I keep the Tails version of Debian on a zip drive great for doing searches you don't want anyone to know about,and when you're done with it it erases all trace of it's self on you're machine http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=tails

also unetbootin will let you make any Linux distro usb or dvd bootable it's pretty cool and works on Windows Linux and Mac OS http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

Not Dead

Last edited by NeTaS; 03-16-2012 at 07:02 PM.
NeTaS is offline   Reply With Quote