Raw Radio Talk  

Go Back   Raw Radio Talk > General Discussion > Sports

Notices

Sports Talk about everything athletic here. NFL, MLB, NHL, NASCAR (der der der), MMA, hell, even wrasslin if you're so inclined.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:17 PM   #31
Spaz
BMF

vCash: 99742590428
Spaz has a reputation beyond reputeSpaz has a reputation beyond reputeSpaz has a reputation beyond reputeSpaz has a reputation beyond reputeSpaz has a reputation beyond reputeSpaz has a reputation beyond reputeSpaz has a reputation beyond reputeSpaz has a reputation beyond reputeSpaz has a reputation beyond reputeSpaz has a reputation beyond reputeSpaz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
Lol, I'm pretty sure UF has more. That's really nothin to be proud of, I can't believe that some of those guys do the stupid shit they do and risk fuckin up potential millions of $ in the pros. It really makes no sense.
couldn't agree more!!! was just talking about that at work the other day . just the fact that these guys play for certain schools means they are good,and have a chance at the pro's.IMO.

Try me
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:27 PM   #32
Hank
Banned
No Avatar

vCash: 5000000
Hank will become famous soon enoughHank will become famous soon enough

Well, certain school's obvisously have more swagger and credibility in the league's eyes than others. I wasn't blessed with the ability that these guys have, and I hate to see ppl squander such great opportunites not matter what team they play for(unless it's FSU).lol..when they do dumb shit to fuck that up it makes me rage
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 08:52 AM   #33
BrickBanland
BWO 4 Life!

BrickBanland will become famous soon enough

Okl. St. is going to win the Big 12. Robinson at QB, A tremendous slashing RB in Hunter, A huge receiver with Bryant and a top five offensive tackle in Okung. Okl. St. might win the national championship.
BrickBanland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:12 AM   #34
Hank
Banned
No Avatar

Okie state winning the Big 12 and the nat. championship? That's a bold prediction my friend, I'm gonna hold you to that if that's ur pick.

I'm sure Deb will have somethin to say about that....She does have OU's past accolades on file and at the ready......lol What say you Deb?
Old 06-16-2009, 09:34 AM   #35
BrickBanland
BWO 4 Life!

I am going to at least convey the Big 12. Okl. St. has a big "3" and a franchise left tackle. I don't know much about their defense but I really didn't observe any de from the big 12 in 08. My national title early prediction Florida vs. Okl. St.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:37 PM   #36
DFender
Chaos = My Life = FML

DFender will become famous soon enough

C'mon... OU's gonna stomp OS into the sod. Aside from their incredible history as a NC2A Football school... they have a killer schedule AGAIN. They, however, will overcome... Bradford is back again and DEMANDS a stellar offense. Defensively Travis is back as well as Clayton and Jackson too. It's a beautiful thing. If you'd like I roster, I'm happy to provide... LOL. Of course their awesome coach, Bob Stoops, is gonna be there to keep those boys straight.

The End.

2009 OU Football Schedule

Date Game

09/05/09 vs. BYU
09/12/09 vs. Idaho State
09/19/09 vs. Tulsa
10/03/09 at Miami
10/10/09 vs. Baylor
10/17/09 vs. Texas
10/24/09 at Kansas
10/31/09 vs. Kansas State
11/07/09 at Nebraska
11/14/09 vs. Texas A&M
11/21/09 at Texas Tech
11/28/09 vs. Oklahoma State
12/05/09 Big 12 Championship Arlington, Texas

(608): imagine a blue Jetta with an ILLINOIS license plate that read JISLORD..... upon pondering it for 10 minutes I came to the conclusion that J stood for JESUS and IF the license plate had enough room it would read "Jesus Is Lord"
www.textsfromlastnight.com
DFender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 07:37 PM   #37
DFender
Chaos = My Life = FML

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickTamland View Post
Okl. St. is going to win the Big 12. Robinson at QB, A tremendous slashing RB in Hunter, A huge receiver with Bryant and a top five offensive tackle in Okung. Okl. St. might win the national championship.
Nope. Won't happen. Jus' sayin'...

(608): imagine a blue Jetta with an ILLINOIS license plate that read JISLORD..... upon pondering it for 10 minutes I came to the conclusion that J stood for JESUS and IF the license plate had enough room it would read "Jesus Is Lord"
Old 06-16-2009, 07:46 PM   #38
Hank
Banned
No Avatar

Look at my little pit bull go, you tell 'em mama....lol Btw, you hit that softball out of the stadium, ur crackin me up...lol
Old 06-17-2009, 07:32 AM   #39
BrickBanland
BWO 4 Life!

Nice argument, beuuuutiful as a matter in fact....BUT......Hard to argue with Boomer Sooners track record but it is time for CHANGE. To retort, Sam Bradford won a Heisman but so did Jason White, both couldn't win the big game. Okie St. lost to the Sooners 41-61 in 2008 but don't be surprised if the Cowboys seek much needed retribution in Norman this coming season. St. will unload a juggernaut on offense and will have a slight edge in that department but I would give Okl. the nod on defense. Again tho, I expect over 100 points to be scored Nov. 28th.

September 5 Georgia 3:30 PM ET Tickets
September 12 Houston 3:30 PM ET Tickets
September 19 Rice TBA Tickets
September 26 Grambling State TBA Tickets
October 10 at Texas A&M 3:30 PM ET Tickets
October 17 Missouri TBA Tickets
October 24 at Baylor TBA Tickets
October 31 Texas TBA Tickets
November 7 at Iowa State TBA Tickets
November 14 Texas Tech TBA Tickets
November 19 Colorado 7:30 PM ET Tickets
November 28 at Oklahoma TBA Tickets

Luckily Okie St.'s scare game is their first vs. Georgia, and St. should win with Georgia unleashed a new band of offensive stars who won't know how to comprehend how to play as a team. Now the game I see Oklahoma might lose would be @ Miami, that is a true scare game against a up and coming Hurricane Team in the Orange Bowl. In a nutshell, Oklahoma, Okie St. and Texas will have some nice battles to round out the Big 12, Game on!
Old 06-17-2009, 07:46 AM   #40
DFender
Chaos = My Life = FML

Brick... well thought out... HOWEVER... you fail to realize that although Bradford wasn't able to bring home the final win that OU needed - it will only galvanize him into desperately seeking that win THIS season. As far as OS vs. OU? The Cowboys aren't slackers by any means... but the Sooners have the ever-incredible-Sooner home field advantage along with their better defense. Offensively? Both teams are pretty even but OU's defense is gonna be the edge. There's no way Bradford or Stoops will allow the Cowboys to leave Memorial Stadium with a win.

I do agree that there'll be some stellar football to witness in the Big 12 this season. Don't discount Texas Tech who just might shock the ever livin' hell outta everyone this year... again. Dammit, I can't wait til the Season starts. C'moooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.....

Old 06-17-2009, 07:46 AM   #41
DFender
Chaos = My Life = FML

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
Look at my little pit bull go, you tell 'em mama....lol Btw, you hit that softball out of the stadium, ur crackin me up...lol
*woof*woof*

Old 06-17-2009, 07:57 AM   #42
BrickBanland
BWO 4 Life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFender View Post
Brick... well thought out... HOWEVER... you fail to realize that although Bradford wasn't able to bring home the final win that OU needed - it will only galvanize him into desperately seeking that win THIS season. As far as OS vs. OU? The Cowboys aren't slackers by any means... but the Sooners have the ever-incredible-Sooner home field advantage along with their better defense. Offensively? Both teams are pretty even but OU's defense is gonna be the edge. There's no way Bradford or Stoops will allow the Cowboys to leave Memorial Stadium with a win.

I do agree that there'll be some stellar football to witness in the Big 12 this season. Don't discount Texas Tech who just might shock the ever livin' hell outta everyone this year... again. Dammit, I can't wait til the Season starts. C'moooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.....
meh......should be a slobber knocker of a game.....so Sam Bradford is striving to be Sidney Crosby, lose the big game once and driving himself harder to win a championship a year after. Tho the OKL/OKL St. isn't for quite sometime (nov. 28) we should have a friendly wager. Say whoever wins has to sport the winning teams signature or avatar, for example, when Okl St. would win u sport the Cowboys Logo as an avatar or sig. Deal?
Old 06-17-2009, 08:06 AM   #43
DFender
Chaos = My Life = FML

Sidney Crosby... Pah. You're on Brick... I'll have a gorgeous OU Sooners banner and/or AV ready for you... it'll look good on ya ;-)

Old 06-17-2009, 05:53 PM   #44
BrickBanland
BWO 4 Life!

Default College Football Preview: South Florida

2009 CFN South Florida Preview

South Florida DE George Selvie By Richard Cirminiello
CollegeFootballNews.com
Posted May 27, 2009

Is South Florida in rebuilding mode, or are the athletes in place to come up with a surprising year and a Big East title? The hot team of two years ago has work to do, but as Richard Cirminiello points out, this Bulls will be dangerous and worth watching. Check out the CFN 2009 USF preview.

South Florida Bulls

Preview 2009

By Richard Cirminiello

- 2009 USF Preview | 2009 USF Offense
- 2009 USF Defense | 2009 USF Depth Chart
- 2008 CFN USF Preview | 2007 CFN USF Preview | 2006 CFN USF Preview

Interested in blogging about USF football? Let us know

Head coach: Jim Leavitt
13h season: 87-52
Returning Lettermen: 40
Lettermen Lost: 20
Ten Best USF Players
1. DE George Selvie, Sr.
2. QB Matt Grothe, Sr.
3. DT Terrell McClain, Jr.
4. CB Jerome Murphy, Sr.
5. LB Kion Wilson, Sr.
6. WR Jessie Hester, Sr.
7. FS Nate Allen, Sr.
8. RB Mike Ford, Jr.
9. DE Aaron Harris, Sr.
10. OG Zach Hermann, Jr.
2009 Schedule
CFN Prediction: COMING
2009 Record: 0-0

9/5 Wofford
9/12 at West. Kentucky
9/19 Charleston Southern
9/26 at Florida State
10/3 at Syracuse
10/10 OPEN DATE
10/15 Cincinnati
10/24 at Pitt
10/30 West Virginia
11/7 OPEN DATE
11/12 at Rutgers
11/21 Louisville
11/28 Miami
12/5 at Connecticut

2008 Schedule
CFN Prediction: 7-5
2008 Record: 8-5
8/30 UT Martin W 56-7
9/5 at UCF W 31-24 OT
9/12 Kansas W 37-34
9/20 at FIU W 17-9
9/27 at NC St W 41-10
10/2 Pitt L 26-21
10/11 OPEN DATE
10/18 Syracuse W 45-13
10/25 at Louisville L 24-20
10/30 at Cincinnati L 24-10
11/8 OPEN DATE
11/15 Rutgers L 49-16
11/22 Connecticut W 17-13
11/29 OPEN DATE
12/6 at West Virginia L 13-7
St. Petersburg Bowl
12/20 Memphis W 41-14

Now that South Florida has hit a wall and a little bit of adversity, where does it go from here?

Maybe the neophyte program grew too quickly, rising to No. 2 nationally in the middle of 2007 because since then, it failed to fulfill inflated expectations. There have been no Big East titles and a pedestrian 10-9 record in the last 19 games with FBS opponents. In fact, the Bulls slid all the way to sixth place in an eight-team league, hardly the trajectory of one of the country’s fastest rising entities.

While South Florida is no doubt on solid footing, it’s fair to wonder if Jim Leavitt, the excitable head coach, has reached a plateau with the school. By all measures, the Bulls have the talent to match up with any other Big East school, yet they’ve won just five of their last 13 league games. That’s a troubling statistic for a school that believes it’s ready to graduate from December bowl invitations.

On paper, this year’s edition, too, appears capable of competing for a crown. The best offensive player in school history, QB Matt Grothe, returns. So does the best defensive player in school history, end George Selvie. Sure, there are concerns, such as the offensive line, but the supporting cast is solid and depth isn’t a major issue. South Florida is ready for the next step in its evolution. Or is it? Another magicJack St. Petersburg Bowl won’t kill the Bulls, but it sure will raise questions about the direction that their headed.

What to watch for on offense: The growth of Grothe. Every staff member in Tampa is labeling the quarterback a new man, who’s finally become a better student of the game. Let’s see it. For the last three years, he’s tended to rely exclusively on his athletic ability, which has been at the root of many of his mistakes. A more cerebral Grothe, however, would presumably make better reads and fewer errors. You hope so if you’re a Bull because the program can’t a fourth consecutive season with 14 interceptions.

What to watch for on defense: The defensive line. George Selvie is the headliner, but he’s hardly a solo act. Just about everyone is back from last season, which means South Florida will be home to one of the nation’s nastiest front fours. If opponents dedicate too many resources to No. 95, any number of Bulls, including Terrell McClain and Aaron Harris, are capable of making them suffer. South Florida will set the tone up front, making life so much easier for the linebackers and defensive backs.

The team will be far better if… it generates more big plays …on offense and defense. This was a major problem last season, which prompted changes with both coordinators. On offense, the Bulls were far too methodical, lacking the long ball in the running or passing game. On defense, they had a hard time finishing their sacks and were 97th nationally in takeaways. There are way too many good athletes in Tampa for South Florida to remain so quiet and passive on both sides of the ball.

The Schedule: The Bulls have a three week preseason against Wofford, at Western Kentucky, and Charleston Southern before finally starting off the real portion of the season at Florida State. The showdown with the Seminoles, combined with a late November date with Miami, could be the type of games that can change around the program. While West Virginia and Cincinnati have to go to Tampa, the Bulls have to go to Connecticut in the cold on December 5th. There are four Big East road games in all, but one is at Syracuse. The Rutgers game in mid-November could be sneaky-tough weather-wise.

Best offensive player: Senior QB Matt Grothe. Forget the fact that Grothe doesn’t project well at the next level. All South Florida knows is that he’s a multi-dimensional playmaker and one of the most experienced returning quarterbacks in the country. Yes, he has to step up his game this fall and cut down on the turnovers, but when he gets outside the pocket and heads up field, he’ll drive defensive coordinators batty.

Best defensive player: Senior DE George Selvie. Although Selvie had an off year based on where he put the bar in 2007, he’s still one of the most disruptive forces off the edge in the country. Playing with a sudden burst off the snap and non-stop energy, he’s earned First Team All-Big East honors following each of the last two seasons. With the chance of being a first round pick in the 2010 NFL Draft hanging out there, he has more motivation than ever before to toy with opposing tackles.

Key players to a successful season: The offensive line. This is the biggest spoke in the wheel for the program heading into 2009. Four starters are gone from last season, and in their place are a slew of unproven underclassmen. These guys have a shot to be real good, but that might not happen until 2010 or 2011. For the time being, it’ll be a patchwork unit and a potential liability throughout the year.

The season will be a success if ... South Florida wins the Big East championship. Does anyone clearly have more talent than the Bulls? Defending champion Cincinnati needs to rebuild its defense. West Virginia and Rutgers must replace the best quarterback to ever play at either school. Syracuse and Louisville don’t belong in the discussion. In other words, the Bulls have as good a chance as anyone of playing in a BCS bowl game. Now, they’ve got to just go out and get it done.

Key game: Oct. 30 vs. West Virginia. Yeah, the Bulls have a couple of sexy games with Florida State and Miami that’ll have national appeal, but winning the Big East trumps winning any mythical state titles. This has become an interesting little rivalry over the last four seasons, with the teams splitting the games. While the outcome won’t decide the league championship, it could go a long way toward that end.
2008 Fun Stats:
- Penalties: South Florida 111 for 882 yards - Opponents 96 for 791 yards
- Average yards per carry: South Florida 4.2 - Opponents 2.8
- First quarter scoring: South Florida 108 - Opponents 54
Old 06-18-2009, 04:39 PM   #45
BrickBanland
BWO 4 Life!

Default NCAA Football Preview: Northwestern

2009 CFN Northwestern Preview

Northwestern QB Mike Kafka By Pete Fiutak
CollegeFootballNews.com
Posted Jun 2, 2009
Northwestern Wildcats

Preview 2009

By Pete Fiutak

Head coach: Pat Fitzgerald
4th year: 19-18
Returning Lettermen
Off. 24, Def. 23, ST 1
Lettermen Lost: 23
Ten Best NU Players
1. DE Corey Wootton, Jr.
2. SS Brad Phillips, Sr.
3. FS Brendan Smith, Sr.
4. CB Sherrick McManis, Sr.
5. QB Mike Kafka, Sr.
6. LB Nate Williams, Jr.
7. LB Quentin Davis, Jr.
8. DT Corbin Bryant, Jr.
9. OT Al Netter, Soph.
10. RB Stephen Simmons, Jr.
2009 Schedule
CFN Prediction: COMING
2009 Record: 0-0

9/5 Towson
9/12 Eastern Michigan
9/19 at Syracuse
9/26 Minnesota
10/3 at Purdue
10/10 Miami University
10/17 at Michigan State
10/24 Indiana
10/31 Penn State
11/7 at Iowa
11/14 at Illinois
11/21 Wisconsin
11/28 OPEN DATE

2008 Schedule
CFN Prediction: 6-6
2008 Record: 9-4

Even when Northwestern was winning Big Ten titles in the 1990s, it's not like anyone really took the program seriously. After all, it was Northwestern.

The program that was synonymous with futility, and jokingly said to be kept around by the Big Ten to raise up the league's academic profile, has obviously had some big moments, but it's always been seen as more of an annoying gnat that buzzes around the heads of the bigger name schools, rather than be accepted as one of the Big Ten's more successful, consistent teams.

With the recruiting restrictions, school size, and a lack of local interest in a major market, there are plenty of built-in excuses, and all of them valid, that make it hard for teams to get up for that trip to Evanston, and that's not a bad thing. Everyone circles the calendar to mark the Michigan game. Everyone gets jacked up for Penn State, and the year is focused around what a team can do against Ohio State. Northwestern is still Northwestern, and even though head coach Pat Fitzgerald is trying to change the perception, the underdog image works to the team's advantage. However, Fitzgerald has said from day one that he wants to make Northwestern a powerhouse, and he might be on the verge of coming closer than anyone thought possible. Now the team has to start winning more of the big games.

Northwestern isn't exactly an underdog anymore going four out of the last five years with a 6-6 record or better, and another year, in 2003, that finished up 6-7 after a trip to a bowl game. Ah yes, the bowl games. And there's the problem.

For all the positive things that NU has done over the last 15 years, there hasn't been a bowl win. In fact, the school is 1-6 in bowls with the only victory a 1948 Rose Bowl win over California. While winning bowl games is hardly the total measure of how good a program is, the lack of being able to pull off that extra victory has cemented the NU into the try-hard category. Oh sure, the Wildcats can rise up and pull off an upset of Iowa or Illinois now and then, but when teams are able to take a few weeks to focus and gameplan, they can't win. And it's not like the bowls have all been mismatches in talent. There was a Motor City Bowl loss to Bowling Green, too.

This year's team could be different, and it might not be the type of Northwestern squad that has its head too far over its skis with a nice record that gets exposed in the post-season. There are issues, but there are other parts that will be as strong as the program has ever had.

It all starts with a secondary that gets everyone back and has a slew of good-looking backups to count on. Throw in an athletic linebacking corps, and a line that could dominate if everyone is healthy (but that's a HUGE if), and a defense that gave up just 341 yards and 20 points per game should be fantastic.

The offense will have to change some things up a bit with a new backfield that will run more than it has in the last few years, and with a receiving corps that's wet behind the gills, but the line should be strong enough to give everyone time to get comfortable.

There are reasons to have high expectations at this point considering the recent success, and Fitzgerald appears to be coming into his own as a coach just as the talent level is starting to rise. Big Ten teams will be warned and warned again about how dangerous NU will be, and several will still get picked off.

What to watch for on offense: More running. Head coach Mick McCall's offense didn't work quite as well as expected, with the idea that the playmakers should have the ball in space as much as possible. C.J. Bacher was good at distributing the ball around, but he had three veteran receivers to work with and a do-it-all back in Tyrell Sutton to rely on. All the top skill players are gone, and while the receiving corps is the biggest question mark, there are talented runners ready to pick up the slack. Mike Kafka is a dangerous running quarterback, and backs Stephen Simmons, Alex Daniel, and Jeravin Matthews are all quick. McCall will still try to get his top players in places where they can do something with the ball, but it might just look a bit different.

What to watch for on defense: The health of the defensive front. Long-time defensive coordinator Mike Hankwitz got a ton of production out of a defense that was camped out in opposing backfields led by Corey Wootton. The junior has always had the tools and the potential, and he put it all together last season with a ten-sack season that made him finally look like the top NFL prospect everyone expected him to become. Now he has to get over a bad knee injury suffered in the December loss to Missouri, and that might still take a while get to 100% once the season starts. Tackle Adam Hahn is trying to get over a foot injury and versatile tackle/end Corbin Bryant is trying to get past a knee injury. On the plus side, the injuries allowed others, like end Vince Browne, to get more work this offseason, but if the starters aren't healthy, the defensive pressure of last year will diminish.

The team will be far better if … Mike Kafka can throw. He was excellent running the ball when he replaced Bacher last year, running for 217 yards against Minnesota and 83 yards against Ohio State, and while he completed 32-of-46 passes, he threw three picks with two touchdown passes. He's not going to be Bacher throwing the ball, but if he's able to provide just enough of a deep passing threat to keep defenses honest, things will open up that much more for the ground game.

The Schedule: It's not bad. If the Wildcats can win at Syracuse, and as long as they don't screw up at home early on, they should be at least 6-2 before dealing with Penn State. The non-conference schedule is laughable playing Towson, Eastern Michigan, at Syracuse and Miami University. Going on the road to face Iowa and Illinois in back-to-back weeks in November will be tough, and to close out against Wisconsin will be difficult meaning the first half of the season has to be fantastic. Not playing Ohio State is as big a plus as it gets, and while it might seem like a plus to miss Michigan, it's not a break this year..

Best Offensive Player: Junior QB Mike Kafka. He has to stay healthy, he has to keep the mistakes to a minimum, and he has to be consistent. The 6-3, 215-pounder has the starting experience to be ready to produce in a big way, but he takes big shots (he was knocked out against Michigan) and he has to prove he can lead the team to wins with his arm as well as his legs. But he's a talent with the potential to go from a nice relief pitcher to a dangerous centerpiece to work the offense around.

Best Defensive Player: Junior DE Corey Wootton. But this could quickly change if he's not 100%. When he's right, he's one of the best all-around ends in college football and he'll make NFL scouts with 3-4 defenses drool. If Wootton isn't the best player, then it'll be safety Brad Phillips, a top tacklers who'll be a near-lock for all-star honors. Safety Brendan Smith and corner Sherrick McManis will also earn all-Big Ten mention.

Key player to a successful season: Senior WR Andrew Brewer. Kafka is the team's key player, but he needs receivers to throw to with Ross Lane, Eric Peterman, and Rasheed Ward gone. Brewer didn't come up with a big year with just 18 grabs for 145 yards, but he needs to become a No. 1 target who stretches the field from the outside. He's the veteran in the green receiving corps and he needs to be dangerous..

The season will be a success if ... the Wildcats win nine games again ... and a bowl. Not getting Ohio State is as big a break as it gets, and Michigan is better this year so not playing Big Blue is a plus. However, there are just enough offensive issues to expect better than last year's 9-4 campaign, especially with a nasty finishing kick. NU won't win at Michigan State and will likely lose against Penn State and at Iowa, so there has to be a split at Illinois and against Wisconsin and no mistakes anywhere else.

Key game: September 26 vs. Minnesota. Considering Purdue is in a rebuilding mode and needs to be a win for the Cats. If they can pull off a win over an improved Gopher team in the Big Ten opener in Evanston, there's a real chance to start out 6-0 before the brutal part of the state starts to kick in. A big start, with Indiana still on the slate, could mean a nine win season is possible.

2008 Fun Stats:
- Third down conversions: Northwestern 97-of-209 (46%) - Opponents 68-for-196 (35%)
- Penalties: Opponents 78 for 688 yards - Northwestern 61 for 567 yards
- Sacks: Northwestern 34 for 235 yards - Opponents 22 for 176 yards