PDA

View Full Version : RIP, Colin Brady

Drew Garabo
11-28-2012, 06:24 PM
I first met Colin Brady in the late 1990s at WTKS in Orlando. He filled in for my producer on my overnight talk show. We immediately bonded over our love for Boston sports teams as we were both originally from New England. Through the years, he would help me out on my various shows when my producers were absent or when we did live remote broadcasts. I liked his sense of humor and self-effacing nature.

I was thrilled to reunite with Colin on my last show on RadioIO. His help was appreciated and it was great to catch up with him. Life frequently served him up a shit sandwich but it never seemed to get him down too badly.

I was shocked, stunned, and deeply saddened when I read of his passing today. I know a lot of you heard him on Burke's show and were fond of him as well. I don't really know why I'm posting this, other than to say that I knew him for a significant amount of time and considered him a friend. I haven't heard Shannon's show but reading this board, I'm happy to see that he was appreciated and was a source of laughter. Even if that laughter came at his own expense, Colin never seemed to mind.

Rest in peace, Colin Brady. You were a good man and we can all learn something from your humility and perseverance.

-Drew Garabo
11/28/12

Chob
11-28-2012, 06:28 PM
Thanks for sharing Drew.

Colin had difficult times all through the all too brief time we got to hear him on air. Like everyone, he had his bad days and got angry and fed up with things. But I was always struck with how upbeat he managed to be a lot of the time. He was always willing to spill his guts on the air and put it all out there for our entertainment. He had balls to share the most embarassing details of his life, from defecating himself in a store aisle to breaking his dick during sex. The guy was unapologetically himself 100% of the time on air, and the SBS and IO won't be the same without him.

Slidejob Jones
11-28-2012, 06:35 PM
Sorry for everyone's loss. My mind moves onto other things, but it keeps coming back to "holy fuck I can't believe Colin is gone".

milkman
11-28-2012, 06:49 PM
Well said Drew, it seems to be the common thread between everyone who worked with him. Thanks for posting that!

PeteFromPA
11-28-2012, 06:59 PM
I'm still floored by this. As a regular listener to Shannon's show, you really do look forward to hearing from everyone. Colin will be missed. He was an original, a talented guy who really understood what good radio was supposed to sound like. This is going to take a long time to process. I really enjoyed him on the air, and secretly rooted for him off the air. Rest in peace, Colin!

SJ
11-28-2012, 07:41 PM
Thanks for sharing that Drew. I didn't know you guys had worked together and were friends.

Colin's crazy stories and antics will be missed for sure.

My condolences to his family.

ch3cooh
11-28-2012, 08:01 PM
I'm still kind of numb about this. It's just so surreal.

Thanks for sharing Drew.

So long Colin, it just won't be the same without you.

http://i.imgur.com/e8Sjd.jpg

Thanos
11-28-2012, 08:34 PM
I've taken a self-imposed sabbatical from the Bubbaverse for a few weeks, just to cleanse my mind and have a fresh take on my mornings / afternoons. I noticed Shannon's tweet concerning Colin's passing a few moments ago.

There's nothing I can say, really. It's depressing. Colin was a funny, charming, and highly loveable kind of guy. He made Shannon's show so endearing, even though I wouldn't normally listen to a show like that. There's nothing but positive thoughts we can express about Colin. The world is a darker, less funny place without him. Colin will be deeply missed.

Being the holidays, is there anything that can be done to help his family in this time of need? I'm sure we can pull together and help in some way.

PissJug
11-28-2012, 09:25 PM
In the little over a year that the Burke show has been on IO Colin, Shannon, and Rick built a pretty good following. He'll be greatly missed and I'm sure we'll all never forget the "Colin voice". I'll be drinking a Four Loko and pulling for the Patriots on Sunday. RIP Colin

FishMuskys
11-28-2012, 10:44 PM
There are alot of "firsts" in life--the first beer you snuck, kiss you stole, bowl you smoked, gal you banged. This is the first tear I've shed for a person I've never met. Colin is the first entertainer that brought his life into ours, without reserve, that has passed. His wit, his charm, his stupidity and above all his human nature will be missed. #cuntfaggot

Tuddle
11-28-2012, 11:23 PM
WOW what a really weird but sad day all together. Social media is a tool that i think has changed radio so much. It allows us to make a more intimate relationship with our audience, and sometimes even become friends. From all the outpouring of people's sadness Colin was more then just a person you listened to on the radio, he was a friend and in some parts even like a family member. I can say that this is the first time that I found out about the passing of someone I knew personally. At first I couldn't even believe until I actually got conformation from Rick and Shannon I was just devastated.

I started out at Real Radio 104.1 in Orlando and I can remember Colin being one of the first people that offered to help teach me the ropes. I would come in on the weekends when he would do music shifts or running the best of The Monsters on Saturday morning. He was always kind and always willing to take the time to show me how to do things if I ever had questions and for that I will always be great full for it.

After Colin left Clear Channel and we kind of lost touch like most people do when they move on to other things. But being able to work with him and reconnect with him during my time on The Shannon Burke show was some of the most fun radio I've done in my career. I really feel bad that I hadn't talked to him much since my departure from The Burke Show. I always remember the last time I talked to Colin was when I was driving to Tampa to do In Your Face and I heard his familiar voice doing the traffic report on the station that we both first met on Real Radio. He answered the phone and we talked a little while and just telling him it was great to hear his voice, then I proceeded to bet him a 50 that he wouldn't slip in the word Titty during his top of the hour update. I'm glad that I got that chance to chat with him again but never in a million years did I think if would be the last time I would ever get to speak with him. Colin you'll be missed and I can say ill never forget that you offered to help me out all those years ago. You taught me one final lesson and that's never to lose touch with the friends you make with the short time we have. Miss you man, and I know there is even more lives then you'll ever know that you touched.

Rob
11-29-2012, 12:42 PM
I feel somewhat connected to Colin in a small way. It's a bit creepy that his wedding ring is sitting in my drawer. Every time I come across it, I'd always think of him and smile.

The guys started talking about the show Barter Kings. Shannon said that he had a leather Budweiser golf bag (which is rare) that I really wanted. The only thing I could think to trade was Colingbrady.com . Shannon pretty much passed on my offer ..but not Colin. I bought the site to fuck with Colin every week. I'd forward it to gay sites, sports teams that he hated etc... Since Shannon didn't want to trade, I asked Colin if he'd trade his wedding ring for admin rights to his domain. Low and behold he took me up on it and sent me the ring.

I've posted the ring on here before, it's nothing all that special. I didn't really want the ring at the time. I was joking around and didn't want to give up Colin's domain. To me, the ring symbolized the black cloud that surrounded him. I didn't want it because in the back of my head I thought it would bring me bad luck. So far it hasn't, I've only gotten joy from looking at it from time to time.

Colin never took over right's to his site. After I got the ring, I just directed it to the IO page. I think he traded me just so I wouldn't bust his balls anymore. As of now, I have two things that belong to him. I'm just a guy from California who listens every day and probably wouldn't have listened to Shannon's show if it weren't for Colin. I've lost family, friends, and pets before but this is different. They guy I was a fan of died alone and miserable. Even my worst enemy doesn't deserve to go out that way. I can't help but feel sorry for all of his friends and family. I will miss him.

NeTaS
11-30-2012, 05:37 AM
I enjoyed busting Colin's balls on the Board during the shows,I have come to realize that he put himself out there like he did because he knew it made for good radio and it sure did,he was kind of a lovable mess of a dude,I will miss the shit out of him!!

PissJug
12-02-2012, 01:47 PM

Go Patriots!

ch3cooh
12-02-2012, 06:40 PM
in typical colin g brady luck the pats won but didn't cover the 7.5

Chob
12-03-2012, 07:33 PM
The Orlando Sentinel story is up.
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/obituaries/os-obit-brady-20121203,0,3111281.story

Slidejob Jones
12-04-2012, 12:03 AM
I feel somewhat connected to Colin in a small way. It's a bit creepy that his wedding ring is sitting in my drawer. Every time I come across it, I'd always think of him and smile.

I certainly hope you're taking steps to ensure Colin's family gets his ring back.

Rob
12-05-2012, 02:05 PM
I certainly hope you're taking steps to ensure Colin's family gets his ring back.

Was in contact with Sherry the day after. She tweeted herself wearing it on Monday.

Slidejob Jones
12-06-2012, 08:06 AM
Was in contact with Sherry the day after. She tweeted herself wearing it on Monday.

:bigclap: